Hey and welcome back MDC fam , it’s hard to believe that the 2018/2019 dance season is beginning in just a few short weeks! Crazy right? We’re so excited for the new dance season here at MDC and can’t wait to get back into the studio. Now ask yourself this , have you/your dancer been stretching this summer? We really hope the answer is yes but we know that you dancers haven’t been stretching as much as you should have been. If you have been stretching give yourself a pat on the back and keep up the great work!
If you haven’t been stretching or even if you have today’s post is going to be all about getting those muscles that have been resting all summer back into tip top dancing shape. These stretches are perfect for dancers of any level. The stretches are suitable for the beginner dancer and can be modified for the advanced dancer.
Combined these stretches and exercises take less than five minutes and can be done in a small space such as your bedroom or living room , so there’s no excuses dancers… get stretching!!
1. High Knees and Butt Kicks – 25 each to get those muscles nice and warm!
2. Forward Bend – Stretches and warms up the hamstrings and calves. Hold for 30 seconds.
3. Cobblers Pose / Butterfly Stretch – Warms up and stretches the hip muscles. Hold for 30 seconds. For an added stretch inhale up to look at the sky and exhale fold down bringing your nose towards your toes and hold here.
4. Low Lunge- Stretches the hip flexer. Hold for 30 seconds each side. For an added challenge lift the back knee off the ground while engaging the hamstrings and glutes.
5. Splits- Increases total leg flexibility , especially in the hamstrings. Slowly slide into the splits as far as you can go down without feeling pain. Hold for 30 seconds each side. For less of a stretch keep your hands on the ground on either side of your stretched front leg ,for more of a strecth try bringing your hands above your head as shown below.
Awesome job dancers. See you in the studio soon and keep up the great work!